About the Park
History Nature Trail
Sensory Garden Gardens
(last edit 15/1/2017)
links above give more detailed information. Latest additions: is a
about the plasterwork motifs by David Love (in buildings). The
History page is updated regularly and has a fuller account of events.
Beckenham Place Park was the
nucleus of a park and farmland estate from the 18th century.
Today it covers around 240 acres or 90 hectares. Its life as
public park began in 1927 when the London County Council foresaw a need
for open space to cater for the new estates of Bellingham and Downman.
The land was bought from the Cator Estate for about £47,000.
The park consists of historic English Heritage listed
a Visitor Centre run by the Friends of BPP on Sunday afternoons (see
page), a public 18 hole golf course now closed at time of writing, 60 acres of ancient woodland,
large areas of grassland managed as meadow or recreation ground, a childrens
play area, formal gardens, a sensory garden, a riverside walk, a nature
trail and various natural habitat areas which qualify its status as a
local nature reserve.
More information available at
the Visitor Centre, see Visitor Centre page on this site.
|Park related events|
1728 - John Cator born on 12th March
1753 - John Cator of Southwark marries Mary Collinson, daughter of Peter Collinson FRS, merchant and botanist
1757 - John Cator buys lands at Stumps Hill
1760 - 1762 Cator builds the house on Stumps Hill as per comment in Hortus Collinsonianus
- a daughter Maria born to John and Mary, John's father dies,
John inherits the business and his mother comes to live with him.
1766 - Maria dies in infancy, John's sister also dies after a long illness.
1772/80 - John Cator is MP for Wallingford
1773 - John purchases the Manor of Beckenham from Lord Bolingbroke who had acquired the manor as a marriage settlement in 1765.
1784 - Elected MP for Ipswich but unseated
1790/93 - MP for Stockbridge
1804 - Mary Cator dies, is buried in St. Georges churchyard with her daughter.
1806 - John Cator dies at his appartment in the Adelphi near The Strand, is buried in St Georges churchyard, Beckenham.
1806 - John Barwell Cator, son of John's oldest brother Joseph, inherits the estate.
- John Barwell Cator marries Miss Mahon, a relative Lambert has access
to Barwell's papers inherited from Peter Collinson via John Cator.
- Alexander D. Inglis
- Mr Peters.
a banker. Peters
Captain Walter Raleigh Gilbert, R.H.A., no dates available.
by R.H. Page who later changed his name to Page‑Henderson.
- Occupier is given as
Robert Henry Page
John Kirkland, Bart. J.P. an army agent who had good relations
with Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, received gifts from them.
ditto. Sir John dies in 1871
1871 John Kirkland Jnr. son of Sir John in census with son, aunt and servants
one listed as in occupation.
John Fell Christie.
No one listed as in
Brunton. the Brunton children made a Christmas card depicting a royal
family visit, maybe this harks back to the Kirkland residency
No one listed as
The occupier is
listed as Mrs Covell,
her husband Edwin has presumably
recently died. E. Covell is also recorded as the tenant in the
concerned with the authorisation of the construction of the Shortlands
railway through the estate.
No one listed as
Beckenham Place is
listed as Craven
to 1930 Norwood Sanatorium occupies the mansion and Homesteads, seems
much of the park used by Foxgrove Golf Club, all under lease from Cator
Estate, and a new chapter in its history opens.
1907 - The Foxgrove Golf Club is established on the grounds of the estate
1927 - The LCC acquires the park from the Cator Estate
1933 - The Golf Course becomes public and one time the busiest in Europe
1939/45 - Crab Hill within the park is made a Prisoner of War camp
1972 - The park passes from the GLC to the ownership of London Borough of Lewisham.
The Park and other open space is designated Metropolitan Open Land, a form of inner city Green Belt
- David Lloyd Leisure attempted acquisition of much of the park, public
enquiry and rejection of plans to extend golf and add indoor tennis
Stable block homesteads and other cottages made vacant, park staff housed elsewhere. Dereliction of this site begins.
1994 - First Friends visitor centre created in a part of the stable block partially restoring one cottage.
1999 - Park undergoes some changes of manager, consultations to find uses for the mansion,
2011 - Neglect of Stable Block leads to vandalism and fire, heritage features such as clock tower destroyed.
2013 - Lewisham Council decide to seed Heritage Lottery Funding under Parks for People scheme.
2016 - Mayor of Lewisham decides closure of Public Golf course, Council unable to find a way to make it financially viable.
- RJK Properties take a 22 month lease to manage the mansion. HLF
approve funding to restore elements of the parkland and stable block.
Attempts made to reopen the golf course by a campaign group.
1722 Afghans conquered Iran
1740-41 Famine in Ireland
1745 Jacobite uprising, Bonny Prince Charlie
1754 - 63 7 Years War with France
1755 the Lisbon Earthquake
1766 also recorded as a year with high smallpox related deaths
1769 James Cook's first voyage to Australia and New Zealand
1776 American Declaration of Independance
1789 French Revolution leading into Napoleonic Wars
1805 Battle of Trafalgar, Nelson killed.
1814 Battle of Waterloo
1851 Great Exhibition in Hyde Park,
1854 Crystal Palace re-erected on Sydenham Hill
1857 Indian Rebellion
1858 India under Crown Control
1899 - 1902 Boer War
1904-5 Russo-Japanese War
1914-18 The Great War
1939-45 Second World War
for more comprehensive history go to this link